Serves 3 to 4
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1 medium sweet apple, such as Fuji or Pink Lady, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery (3 medium stalks)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Butter lettuce leaves, for serving
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 oz olive oil
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool. For mayonnaise, mix the egg yolks, vinegar and mustard in a food processor until well combined. Add the oils, then add the lemon juice. Season to taste. Place the mayo in a large bowl. Then stir in the chicken, apple, grapes, celery, and walnuts, and fold into the dressing. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve in the lettuce leaves as a salad or as lettuce cups.
Make ahead: The salad can be made and stored in the refrigerator up to 2 days ahead.
Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
(Photo credit: Maria Siriano)